Monday, February 28, 2011

Small Victories

Friday was my first truly difficult day, diet-wise. I honestly could not decide if I'd rather lose weight or eat a doughnut. I was good, but the urge to throw in the towel was unexpectedly strong.

Yesterday my husband and I went out to eat. He was craving meat - specifically burgers - so we decided to see what we could get at Red Robin, intending to order a burger and replace the fries with a salad. It turns out they have on their menu something called a "Lettuce-Wrap Your Burger." Here's the description from the site:

A juicy beef burger topped with red onions, fresh tomatoes and Cheddar cheese all nestled between cool lettuce. Served with a side salad and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.


So we ordered that. And you know what? It was delicious. It satisfied our burger craving without too much guilt and we still got plenty of vegetables with our lunch.

I don't like special ordering at restaurants. I don't mind replacing the occasional side dish but asking for "no bun" or "no mayonnaise" and then having to check when the food arrives to see if they actually did it - well, that's not just my bag. I was so pleased to see they had something already on the menu for folks who didn't want the temptation of fries and a big old bun. Sure, this was clearly geared toward folks on Atkins or South Beach, but I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment