Thursday, January 27, 2011

Weekly Weigh-in (a little late)

Power of One Challenge


Weight change this week: -2
Weight change so far in 2011: -7

I really didn't expect to lose any weight this week, but I guess being sick burns calories too, since your body has to work to fight off the infection. Whatever; I'll take what I can get. :)

This week's challenge involved more micromanaging than I am comfortable with.

  • First, plan your menu for the week, breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. On paper.
  • THEN go food shopping.
  • THEN, write your workouts into your schedule or onto your calendar or into your Outlook, share these “appointments” with your family or whomever you need to know what your plans are.
  • FINALLY, make sure that this planned-out week is written into the same calendar as all of your other goal milestone dates and the big goal! And if those aren’t in there, go put them in there! You CEO, YOU! I got a new planner just for the occasion from a store that rhymes with Schmall Schmart and it is pink and it is lovely. Best of all, it was $7. It is my partner in crime and my right hand man and it WILL get me to all my goals this year. That little pink planner.


See, now, I've tried this before. Many times. This sort of "treat it like a work appointment" trick is used for everything from painting to blogging, and it simply does not work for me. As soon as I start seeing something as a chore or obligation, I start actively avoiding it. This is true even for things I enjoy doing. For example: I view sitting down with a good book to be a real treat, but if I schedule the time from 7:30 to 8:00 tonight specifically for reading, I won't do it. I'm not entirely sure why this is, though I suspect it has to do with feeling like once it's scheduled, it's no longer a choice. And I like having choices.

Don't get me wrong: I love planners as much as (and probably more than) the next person, but scheduling every moment of every day backfires every time. I need freedom and spontaneity. Yes, I technically plan to hit the gym after work each day (though not this week while I continue to recover from illness), but I don't hold myself to a set routine, or make sure I stay there for a certain amount of time. That's just not my style. Instead, I make sure I hit all the major muscle groups and include some cardio. Telling myself I must show up for thirty minutes a day and do this-this-and-this guarantees I won't. Some days I want to use the weight machines; other days I prefer free weights. Sometimes I just want to read on the stationary bike, but then occasionally I want to use the stairclimber.

This, of course, is all completely aside from the fact that I am not the only person eating in my house. My husband does the grocery shopping and cooks dinner every night. But anyway, I know this sounds like I am wimping out on this challenge, but I know myself too well for this. I hope I can participate next week, though.

3 comments:

  1. You have to do what works for you...just keep doing what works for you and you will accomplish your goals! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're not at all wimping out on it!! ann's right, you gotta do what works for you. we issued this challenge because so many people have never tried writing anything into their lives or don't know where to start with getting back in shape. i was never a planner until i started doing it myself, however, you're right. sometimes when someone tells me to do something, i instead revolt and run the other way! it depends on what it is, but it's definitely a big experiment to figure out what works! glad you're gettin er done though and doing it your way!! hope you're feeling better today!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The others are right - if planning and scheduling makes you not follow through...then you don't plan and schedule.

    I know exactly how you feel, though. Everytime I look at my already full calendar I think...ugh, I'd give anything to have a day off.

    One thing that I'm working on with my planning is to not schedule everything. I schedule my work-outs, I make my food plan, I schedule time to work on paperwork and homework....then the rest of the time (there is a little left over) is MY time. I don't plan ANYTHING. I do whatever I want to do...and that works for me.

    We all do what works the best for us. Trying new things is great for some - not so much for others.

    ReplyDelete